Sunday, April 21, 2013

Internet Safety in the Classroom

Internet safety is an extremely important concept for students to grasp. There are multiple factors to consider that include: the "truth" that they see out there, what others can see of them, and the viruses/software issues that can come from being online. 

I strongly believe in the idea of modeling the correct ways of internet safety. This means I will always cite the information I present and support my findings with research. I will also have a classroom Twitter account and my own Facebook that students will not be my "friend" on but can view my public profile. This will show them that I am a real person and capable of being safe on the internet too. 


 One unit that I have already developed targets this idea. I created a text set for my English classroom that uses texts focused on school shootings in a variety of formats (novels, newspaper articles, songs, diaries, programs, posters, etc.) Some of the texts also deal with conspiracy theories. The students would investigate to determine what they believe is accurate and not accurate. They would have to support their ideas with evidence. 


I also have intentions of working with high school children and doing several units that focus on college application essays and other college materials. This activity that was found on the Harrisonburg City Public Schools site listed by Common Sense. It is titled College Bound: Admissions Packet Student Handbook (http://www.commonsensemedia.org/educators/lesson/college-bound-9-12). The activity would emphasize the idea of a student's digital footprint and have them think about their own safety on the internet. 


I hope that by modeling and using activities that students will understand the importance of internet safety and know how to properly manage it. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you that teachers should model appropriate internet behavior and safety. Students learn so much from watching their teachers that it only make sense to continue this with the internet.
    Your text set on school shootings sounds like an amazing way to get students attention and make them think about what is truthful. You could even extend this to news stories since the media can create such a frenzy.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete